One of my favorite greens is arugula. It has a peppery flavor that is so distinctive. It is super easy to grow. It is one of those greens that just keeps growing and growing after every harvest except unless you forget to water it, like me!!! I am one of those people that does a great job at getting a garden started, but not so good at maintaining it, thank GOD my husband likes to water plants!!!
In this recipe I used sustainable shrimp. Oh yes, I said the word not many of us want to hear…SUSTAINABLE. That means selecting seafood that is healthy for you and the environment. My husband made a transformation in his consumption of seafood after hearing a TED talk by Sylvia Earl which you can view HERE. She is an oceanographer who’s wish is to protect the blue heart of our planet, the ocean.
What are the benefits of choosing sustainable seafood? Certain seafood can have high amounts of mercury and PCBs and some varieties of seafood have been over fished or caught in ways that can cause MAJOR damage to our marine life and oceans. So I did my research and posted below a snapshot from the Monterey Bay Aquarium on the best choices for sustainable shrimp. A few tips on selecting sustainable seafood in general are to select small fish (sardines, mackeral, squid, oyster, mussels) because they contain less mercury, buy wild caught, buy American, eat local and buy from trusted retailers that have higher standards. You can find out more detailed information about sustainable seafood at www.nrdc.org and you can download an APP at Monterey Bay Aquarium for updated info.
Orange Garlic “Sustainable” Shrimp w/Green Beans & Arugula
- Prep Time: 14 mins
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2
1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 cloves of garlic sliced
16 green beans, cut into thirds
½ pound sustainable shrimp
1 green onion, chopped
Juice of 1 large orange
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
¾ teaspoon garlic salt
Salt & Pepper to taste
6 cups of loosely packed arugula
(optional: 2 sprigs cilantro for topping)
(optional: 4 rings of thinly sliced orange)
- Heat coconut oil in a medium pan. Add garlic and green beans and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and sauté another 3 minutes. Be sure to stir and turn shrimp.
- Add green onion and sauté 1 more minute.
- Turn off heat and add orange juice, maple syrup and garlic salt.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide arugula among 2 large dinner plates.
- Top each plate with shrimp, green beans and orange sauce. Distribute evenly among plates.
- Top each plate with a sprig of cilantro and 2 orange rings.
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
Check out these yummy gluten free recipes:
PS. My husband LOVED the salad!!!
Latest posts by Ester Perez (see all)
- Kale and Golden Beet Salad w/Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette - 16 January, 2018
- Easy Instant Pot Golden Beets - 11 January, 2018
- Instant Pot Paleo Cinnamon Walnut Sweet Potato Bread - 27 December, 2017