Delicious Homemade Vegan Tomato Lentil Soup Recipe-a flavorful tomato based lentil soup bursting with flavor. This delicious homemade lentil soup pairs perfectly with my Gluten Free Tortillas…also vegan and gluten free. Full of fiber, protein and super yummy!
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 10 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils (1 lb, sorted and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon madras powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach (optional)
- Heat a large stockpot to medium heat. Add oil, onions, carrots and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except spinach and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a high simmer and place lid halfway. Cook for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add spinach and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Nutritional data does not include salt.
- If you want to avoid Madras powder because it’s too spicy, you can substitute Garam Masala which is not spicy but extremely flavorful. I highly recommend using World Spice Merchants for your Indian spice blends. I am not an affiliate for them, I just love their blends and the spices are so fresh and flavorful unlike any other I have used.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes