In the celebration of my son’s birthday. I made these special gluten free chocolate chip pancakes. They are grain free and made with coconut flour. The applesauce makes these pancakes light and airy and gives a hint of natural sweetness.
I started making grain free pancakes after learning about the GAPS Diet. I learned through an elimination diet that my son did not do good with certain gluten free grains such as buckwheat. Its interesting how the gut works. At times, it can break down certain grains, but when there is inflammation or a leaky gut, it loses its ability to break down certain foods that once were fine.
After being grain free for a few months I can tell his gut went through a lot of healing. He can now have certain gluten free breads that used to give him a reaction with no problem at all. For now, I will stick to “mostly” grain free baking to continue with healing the gut. I find they are easier to digest, high in protein and gentler on the gut.
This is my first time making gluten free chocolate chip pancakes and they were a hit with the birthday boy! Yay for Mom!
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
Check out these yummy gluten free recipes:
Coconut Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Special gluten free chocolate chip pancakes. They are grain free and made with coconut flour.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil plus 1 teaspoon for pan
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut flour and baking soda. Add to egg mixture and whisk together until batter is smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Heat a non-stick ceramic crepe pan to low heat. Rub pan with teaspoon of coconut oil. Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop batter into center of crepe pan and cover with a lid. Heat for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until top of pancake is starting to steam through.
- Remove lid, flip pancake and cook uncovered for about 30-45 seconds.
- Repeat with remaining batter. You will get 11-12 pancakes, depending on size of eggs. Serve with butter, maple syrup and fresh fruit.
Covering the pancakes eliminates splattering while flipping because the top of the pancake slightly cooks.
Latest posts by Ester Perez (see all)
- Instant Pot Chili Beans Recipe - 12 July, 2019
- Healthy Noodle Sweet and Spicy Crunch Bowl - 2 July, 2019
- 15 Fun Travel Car Games for Kids ( Mom’s Top Picks From Amazon) - 25 June, 2019