Homemade Gluten Free Spinach Tortillas made from fresh spinach leaves. These vibrant tortillas are perfect for making wraps, burritos and scooping up delicious stews! They are great for lunch box turkey roll-ups! Grain free, dairy free, grain free, paleo friendly and nut free.
- 1 3/4 cups cassava flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 cups packed spinach
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- plus 3–4 Tablespoons tapioca flour for dusting
- In a small saucepan, simmer together spinach and water. Cook 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Add to a blender and blend until silky smooth. You should have exactly 1 cup spinach. Strain if you have any small bits. Add honey and oil to spinach mixture, stir.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cassava flour and salt. Slowly pour in hot spinach mixture into cassava flour. If using a stand mixer, whisk for 2 minutes with a flat beater attachment. If mixing dough by hand, use a danish dough whisk or rubber scrape
- You can now heat your cast iron skillet to medium low heat.
- Take a ball of dough and roll it into a disk. Dust your surface with tapioca flour and roll dough out to 6 inches wide. Be sure to continue dusting with flour throughout if needed to prevent dough from sticking. Use a pizza spatula to lift tortillas onto skillet since these tortillas are very delicate.
- Place your tortilla on the skillet and flip once bubbles have formed, about 15-30 seconds. Flip again and once brown spots have coated both sides, place tortilla in a tortilla warmer or aluminum foil to steam.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve warm or use at room temperature as wraps. Enjoy!
- It is best to use a pizza spatula to lift tortillas onto skillet. If tortillas are tearing, roll tortillas out a little thicker.
- If tortillas start to stick to your skillet, lower the flame, it is too hot.
- Replace honey with alternative sweetener to make these vegan-coconut nectar, date syrup or maple syrup.
- Your dough should be soft and pliable like play dough, if your dough is too hard, slowly add more hot water.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10