Homemade Gluten Free Spinach Tortilla Recipe
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 six inch tortillas
- 1 3/4 cups cassava flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 cups packed spinach
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- plus 3-4 Tablespoons tapioca flour for dusting
- In a small saucepan, simmer together spinach and water. Cook 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Add to a blender and blend until silky smooth. You should have exactly 1 cup spinach. Strain if you have any small bits. Add honey and oil to spinach mixture, stir.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cassava flour and salt. Slowly pour in hot spinach mixture into cassava flour. If using a stand mixer, whisk for 2 minutes with a flat beater attachment. If mixing dough by hand, use a danish dough whisk or rubber scrape
- You can now heat your cast iron skillet to medium low heat.
- Take a ball of dough and roll it into a disk. Dust your surface with tapioca flour and roll dough out to 6 inches wide. Be sure to continue dusting with flour throughout if needed to prevent dough from sticking. Use a pizza spatula to lift tortillas onto skillet since these tortillas are very delicate.
- Place your tortilla on the skillet and flip once bubbles have formed, about 15-30 seconds. Flip again and once brown spots have coated both sides, place tortilla in a tortilla warmer or aluminum foil to steam.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve warm or use at room temperature as wraps. Enjoy!
- It is best to use a pizza spatula to lift tortillas onto skillet. If tortillas are tearing, roll tortillas out a little thicker.
- If tortillas start to stick to your skillet, lower the flame, it is too hot.
- Replace honey with alternative sweetener to make these vegan-coconut nectar, date syrup or maple syrup.
- Your dough should be soft and pliable like play dough, if your dough is too hard, slowly add more hot water.