“Mom, you have to post this recipe to Facebook…and with these tortillas!” Said my 6 year old! This Thai Shrimp Curry recipe has been one of my favorites for over 12 years! It was passed down by one of my dear friends Kumari who I call Miss Meow because well, she is the “Cat’s Meow”. You now when someone walks through the door and they light up the whole room with their smile and positive energy…that is Kumari! She taught me how to make this Thai Shrimp Curry back in the day before I was even married and without kiddos and it has still been one of my favorite recipes. Now I make it kid friendly but feel free to add some green Cerrano chilis to spice it up.
I have learned that it is very important to have fresh and high quality ingredients for optimal flavor. I have searched high and low to find the best Indian Spices to make this Thai Shrimp Curry Recipe. I purchased my Continental Curry and Madras powder from World Spice Merchants. They grind their spices fresh and ship them to you. They are by far the best spices I have found. They are priced reasonably, have a huge variety of curry blends and fast shipping.
When I opened my mailbox, the aroma of curry came dancing toward my nose and at that moment, I knew I had to make Kumari’s Thai Shrimp Curry Recipe. Her original recipe does not call for coconut milk, just plain water, but I am crazy for coconut and it mellows out the heat for my kiddos so I had to throw it in.
Kumari serves Thai Shrimp Curry with Indian Roti which is delicious, but not gluten free. I have a solution for you! My Gluten Free Tortillas are very similar in texture to Indian Roti. So these go perfect with this recipe. Last time I went to visit Kumari, she made my Gluten Free Tortillas and loved them so much she said she was going to replace my recipe with her Indian Roti Recipe. I was thrilled!
There is a particular way to eat this shrimp. It is best if you can find deveined shrimp that has the shell on, or at least the tail. Her instructions were that you pick up a shrimp that has been drenched in curry, stick it in your mouth, suck out all the juices, remove the shell, put your shrimp in your tortilla, dunk it again in curry and eat it! My two kids and I giggled as we dunked our fingers full of curry and slurped out the juices in our mouth! Plus, there were moans of delight coming out of all of us, because this recipe is well…that good!
Thank you Miss Meow for sharing your wonderful recipe!
May your family enjoy this as much as mine and be sure to serve these with Gluten Free Tortillas or your own homemade version of Indian Roti.
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
Thai Shrimp Curry RecipePrint
Thai Shrimp Curry Recipe
Thai Shrimp Curry Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Thai
- 2 lbs deveined shrimp in shell or with tail on
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 7 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons continental curry
- 2 teaspoons madras powder
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1–2 cups water
- 2–3 Tablespoons honey
- 1–2 Tablespoons potato flour to thicken
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a stockpot to medium low heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic cloves and saute another 2-3 minutes. Add spices and saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and enough water to cover shrimp. About 1-2 cups. (I filled can up with water)
- Add honey and lightly season with salt. Flavors will concentrate so do not over salt. Sift in potato flour to slightly thicken.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Taste for desired flavor and adjust accordingly.
- Top with cilantro. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 24 hours.
Latest posts by Ester Perez (see all)
- Delicious Homemade Vegan Tomato Lentil Soup Recipe - 8 May, 2019
- Easy Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats - 23 April, 2019
- 20 Tips for Getting a Good Nights Sleep Naturally - 13 April, 2019