I LOVE cornbread and I have really missed it! I have never been able to find vegan gluten free cornbread at a restaurant. I came up with this gluten free, vegan, nut free version for my friend Rola. Her son has life threatening food allergies and she asked if I would come up with an allergy free cornbread recipe. She said it would make her son SO HAPPY! Of course I said yes…and after a few trial and errors, this amazing vegan gluten free cornbread was created.
Little boys do love their cornbread because now my 5 year old son asks me to make this all the time! I pack it in his snack container and it comes back empty. I also like serving this with homemade chili beans or soup. It is absolutely the perfect accompaniment.
This vegan gluten free cornbread is moist, fluffy and sweet! Just the way traditional cornbread should be. I use a square 8 inch cake pan to bake this in. Be sure to use organic finely ground cornmeal for this recipe. I use this brand.
I cut it into little squares and store them in 2 containers. I leave one out on the counter and the other in the fridge. They are usually gone in two days.
I use a “flax egg” and it not only binds the gluten free cornbread, but it adds nutritious fiber and essential omega-3 fatty acids. Please see recipe below for directions.
I know you will love this recipe!
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
For more gluten free bread alternatives, check out:
Vegan Gluten Free Cornbread. This vegan gluten free cornbread is moist, fluffy and sweet!
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal plus 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup organic cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a small mixing bowl, add flax meal and 2 Tablespoon of water. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, gluten free flour and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add water, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and flax meal mixture.
- Stir all ingredients together with a whisk until well incorporated and smooth.
- Line an 8 X 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Pour in batter and bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cornbread to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Cut into squares and store in a sealed container at room temperature or the fridge.