Paleo Tortilla’s 2.0 (Nut Free/Gluten Free/Dairy Free)
- 1 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon Cassava Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or mild olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- plus 2 Tablespoons Cassava flour OR 4 Tablespoons Tapioca Flour for Dusting
- In a stand mixer (or in a large mixing bowl), whisk together cassava flour and sea salt.
- In a large measuring cup, mix hot water, honey and oil.
- Slowly pour in hot water mixture to cassava flour. If using a stand mixer, whisk for 2 minutes with a flat beater attachment. If mixing dough my hand, use a danish dough whisk or rubber scraper. Once dough is cool enough to touch. Roll into 12 even balls. Stick in a ziplock bag.
- You can now heat your cast iron skillet to medium heat.
- Take a ball of dough and roll it into a disk. Dust your surface with either tapioca or cassava flour and roll dough out to a 6 inch disk. Be sure to continue dusting with flour throughout if needed to prevent dough from sticking.
- Place your tortilla on the skillet and flip once bubbles have formed, about 15-30 seconds. Flip again and once brown spots have coated both sides, place tortilla in a tortilla warmer or aluminum foil to steam.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Dough can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. If your dough needs to be re-softened, just drizzle dough with a few drops of water and knead until the texture is like a soft play dough.
Nutrition info is calculated for each individual tortilla.
- Category: Appetizer