Ultimate Gluten-Free Flakey Pie Crust Recipe. This “pillsbury style” pie crust is perfect for making pot pie, pumpkin pie and many more fabulous desserts! This pie crust is completely gluten and dairy free.
- 1 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Flour Baking Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Nutiva Shortening
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tablespoons applesauce
- tapioca flour for rolling
- To a food processor, add shortening, egg, salt and applesauce. Blend for 20 seconds.
- Add gluten free flour and blend until dough comes together, about 30 seconds.
- Scoop out dough with a rubber spatula, shape into a disk and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or overnight. Allow dough to get soft to touch before rolling if refrigerating overnight.
- Place dough between 2 wax/parchment papers and dust lightly with tapioca flour. Roll crust out. And use as directed in recipe.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes for a pumpkin pie/ Bake at 375 for 60 minutes for a pot pie (cover with egg wash)
- If dough breaks apart too much, it is too cold, allow it to get to room temperature a bit more before rolling. Soften the edges of dough with your fingers.
- When you are ready to place dough into pie plate, remove wax paper from top layer. Quickly flip wax paper onto pie plate and gently remove crust into pie plate. Another option is place a cookie sheet under wax paper, place pie tin upside down and flip both over quickly. Then remove wax paper and crust will slide into pie plate.
- If you want the dough plain, you can reduce the sweetness by removing: 2 Tablespoons of applesauce and 2 Tablespoons of gluten free flour.