Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish
Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish is a favorite weeknight meal at my house. These gluten free fish nuggets are perfectly battered and fried to perfection! Learn how to make this easy gluten free beer batter for the crispiest best batter ever!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- 1 lb of rockfish or cod cut into strips. (Roughly 3 inches long by 2 inches wide)
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup gluten free beer (I used Omission)
- sunflower oil for frying fish
- Add tapioca flour, blanched almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, garlic powder and black pepper to a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined and all lumps are removed.
- Add egg and beer and whisk until batter resembles a thick pancake batter. Add fish strips to batter and coat all over.
- Heat a skillet to low medium heat and add 3/4 inch of sunflower oil.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- When oil is hot, gently drop in fish nuggets onto skillet one by one allowing 2 inches between each nugget. Batter will slightly expand.
- When fish is golden brown, about 1 minute, flip over.
- When bottom is golden brown and crispy, place on paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and ketchup.
TIP: I like to make this batter ahead of time for “extra” crispy fish. Follow steps 1 and 2 and put in a sealed container in the fridge for a few hours. When ready to fry, make sure fish is well coated with batter and follow steps 3 and on.