Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish is a favorite weeknight meal at my house. These gluten free fish nuggets are perfectly battered and fried to perfection! Learn how to make this easy gluten free beer batter for the crispiest best batter ever! These are gluten free, grain free and dairy free.
I ask my son; “What would you like for lunch?” “Fish nuggets” he says. Always, always, always he wants fish nuggets! After dozens of trials, this by far is the best gluten free beer battered fish I have come up with!
My son loves this recipe, well…let me tell you, I LOVE this recipe and I know you will too!
I have made this Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish with cod, dover sole and rock fish. My favorite fish to use is Rock Fish. It has a light flavor and comes out so crispy.
My favorite thing about this recipe is that it is super easy to make! I whisk up the batter in just a few minutes and the frying of the fish is pretty quick too!
I like to make the batter in the morning and then have this ready for lunch or dinner. For some reason, if the fish sit in the batter for a few hours, they come out extra crispy. So if you have 5-10 minutes to make the batter and cut up your fish, it is worth it! Then just put it in a tupperware in your fridge until you are ready to fry the battered nuggets.
My son loves his gluten free beer battered fish with ketchup but my husband and I love to eat these as fish tacos!
We warm up some Homemade Gluten Free Tortillas, add 2 pieces of gluten free beer battered fish, some thinly shredded purple and green cabbage, chopped tomatoes, cilantro and chipotle mayo. Squeeze some lime or lemon juice on top and you’ve got some Baja Style Fish Tacos!
Just be sure to find the freshest fish available. I look all over to find the freshest and most sustainable fish I can find. Lately, I have become a big fan of getting fish from my local farmers market. It is so fresh that is hardly smells like fish. Plus, it is sustainable which means that they do not over-fish and only catch enough fish to keep the next generations of fish healthy. This ensures that our future generations also have fish. Now that is a smart buy.
These Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish Nuggets go great inside a gluten free burger, as fish tacos or on their own. I have even made beer battered onion rings and cauliflower with this batter and it is amazing! Oh, the possibilities are endless. What will you make?
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to tag a picture @nurturemygut on Instagram. I love to see your kitchen skills in action!
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
Check out these yummy gluten free recipes:
Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish is a favorite weeknight meal at my house. These gluten free fish nuggets are perfectly battered and fried to perfection! Learn how to make this easy gluten free beer batter for the crispiest best batter ever!
- 1 lb of rockfish or cod cut into strips. (Roughly 3 inches long by 2 inches wide)
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup gluten free beer (I used Omission)
- sunflower oil for frying fish
- Add tapioca flour, blanched almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, garlic powder and black pepper to a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined and all lumps are removed.
- Add egg and beer and whisk until batter resembles a thick pancake batter. Add fish strips to batter and coat all over.
- Heat a skillet to low medium heat and add 3/4 inch of sunflower oil.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- When oil is hot, gently drop in fish nuggets onto skillet one by one allowing 2 inches between each nugget. Batter will slightly expand.
- When fish is golden brown, about 1 minute, flip over.
- When bottom is golden brown and crispy, place on paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and ketchup.
TIP: I like to make this batter ahead of time for “extra” crispy fish. Follow steps 1 and 2 and put in a sealed container in the fridge for a few hours. When ready to fry, make sure fish is well coated with batter and follow steps 3 and on.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins