This Paleo Dark Chocolate Ice Cream is rich, creamy and absolutely delicious! It is made with full fat coconut milk and a classic custard base. If you have ever wanted to learn to make dairy free ice cream with a french twist, you will love this recipe!
- 2 teaspoons grass-fed gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons filtered water
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (13.5 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup 100% cocoa powder
- In a small bowl, add gelatin. Pour water over and stir well. Remove any bits that did not blend. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks until creamy, slowly whisk in maple syrup. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 can of coconut milk until it simmers.
- In a slow steady stream, pour hot coconut milk into egg mixture while whisking eggs fast and constantly. You can use a stand mixer or hand held mixer to make this step easier.
- Return egg and coconut mixture back to stove to low-medium heat while whisking constantly. Heat to 175 degrees or until mixture slightly thickens. Run mixture through a large fine mesh strainer and back into your mixing bowl.
- Add gelatin and whisk until fully melted. Add remaining coconut milk, vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Whisk well until fully incorporated.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 4-8 hours.
- Place mixture in an ice cream machine following the manufacturers directions. This should take about 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream or chill in a loaf pan covered with plastic wrap for 1-2 hours for a firm ice cream.
- Category: Dessert