Ultimate Salsa Verde
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3-6 dried “chile de arbol”
- 1 bundle cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup avocado or light flavored olive oil
- salt to taste, about 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Onto hot skillet, place onions face down, tomatoes, tomatillos and 3 of the garlic cloves. Roast until charred, about 7 minutes.
- Turn over onions, tomatoes and tomatillos. Place charred garlic in blender or food processor. Roast another 7 minutes.
- To blender: add charred onions, tomatoes and tomatillos. Next, add additional raw garlic cloves and dried “chiles de arbol”. Add 3 chiles for a mild salsa, 6 for a medium salsa and 9 for a very hot salsa. I used 6.
- Next, add chopped cilantro, white vinegar and 1/2 cup avocado or light flavored olive oil. Start by adding 2 teaspoons of salt. Blend on low for 10 seconds and then pulse on high for 10 seconds. Do not over blend.
- Taste salsa and add more salt or “chiles de arbol” if needed.
- Store in a large container in the fridge to chill before serving. Serve with chips or in tacos or burritos.