After my Gluten Free Tortilla recipe went viral on Pinterest, I got many requests for a nut-free and gum free version. After several attempts, I came up with a delicious Paleo/Gluten Free/Nut-Free and yes, xanthan gum free version. Phew! Is that a mouthful!
Of course, I had to make this recipe kid friendly for all you kiddos out there with serious nut allergies! I want to make sure you enjoy this recipe! Be sure to help your Mommy make it!
My first few batches came out looking like flying saucers so not to worry if they aren’t a perfect circle! Just keep practicing! This recipe is perfect for burritos, fish tacos, and quesadillas for all you cheese lovers!
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to view my full Disclosure Policy.)
How to Make Paleo Tortillas 2.0
You will need:
- cassava flour
- hot water
- avocado oil or light olive oil
- Kitchen Aid mixer or mixing bowl with Danish dough whisk
- measuring cups & spoons
- parchment paper
- ziplock bag
- rolling pin
- griddle, I use a cast iron griddle
- tortilla warmer or aluminum foil and towel to keep tortillas warm
It is pretty easy to make. First you will whisk together cassava flour and salt. Then, stir together the hot water, honey and oil.
Next, mix both together and you will have formed a soft dough. If you have a stand mixer, it will do all the work for you. Nevertheless, this will work perfect by hand too. Just make sure the dough has cooled enough before handling it. You will have a large ball of soft dough as the photo above.
Next, divide the dough into 12 even balls and place in a ziplock bag. This will prevent the dough from drying out while you are rolling each tortilla.
Roll your dough into a disk. See the photo above.
Then, dust it generously with tapioca or cassava flour. I tried both versions and the tapioca flour works best. It has a finer texture.
Then, use a wooden rolling pin to roll out your dough to a 6 inch disk. Be sure to flip and dust your tortilla with tapioca flour throughout so it does not stick to your surface.
When your cast iron griddle is hot, place your tortilla onto it. Flip once bubbles have formed. Your tortilla will start to puff up nicely.
Once both sides have brown spots as in the photo above, place it in a tortilla warmer (or towel wrapped in aluminum) foil to steam. I got my tortilla warmer on Amazon and I love it! It keeps my tortillas warm and soft for about 45 minutes!
After your tortilla has steamed for a few minutes, it will be soft and flexible. These are simply delicious.
Be sure to keep them warm before serving.
For delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
For more delicious Paleo friendly recipes, check out:
- 1¾ cup plus 1 Tablespoon Cassava Flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or mild olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- plus 2 Tablespoons Cassava flour OR 4 Tablespoons Tapioca Flour for Dusting
- In a stand mixer (or in a large mixing bowl), whisk together cassava flour and sea salt.
- In a large measuring cup, mix hot water, honey and oil.
- Slowly pour in hot water mixture to cassava flour. If using a stand mixer, whisk for 2 minutes with a flat beater attachment. If mixing dough my hand, use a danish dough whisk or rubber scraper. Once dough is cool enough to touch. Roll into 12 even balls. Stick in a ziplock bag.
- You can now heat your cast iron skillet to medium heat.
- Take a ball of dough and roll it into a disk. Dust your surface with either tapioca or cassava flour and roll dough out to 6 inches thick. Be sure to continue dusting with flour throughout if needed to prevent dough from sticking.
- Place your tortilla on the skillet and flip once bubbles have formed, about 15-30 seconds. Flip again and once brown spots have coated both sides, place tortilla in a tortilla warmer or aluminum foil to steam.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is calculated for each individual tortilla.
Latest posts by Ester Perez (see all)
- Thai Cucumber Noodle Salad - 14 January, 2017
- Easy Roasted Rosemary Chicken Breast for Meal Planning Monday #1 - 9 January, 2017
- Easy Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl w/Cilantro Cream Dressing - 16 December, 2016