Do you want to know one of the best remedies for healing the gut? It is quite simple and tastes amazing! Okay, are you ready for it? Bone broth. Below I have a recipe for a hearty set it and forget it chicken bone broth recipe. It requires very little work on your part. The crock pot does all of the work. You just add the ingredients and push a button and let the magic happen.
Chicken bone broth is very neutral and can go in just about anything to not only boost nutritional value, but provide gelatin, collagen and minerals, which are necessary for a healthy gut. It is the foundation for many of my recipes.
Chicken bone broth provides minerals needed for growing bones and strong teeth. If you are a Mother, this information will be of great interest. Including bone broth in your child’s diet will support his/her bone structure and gut integrity. Isn’t that what we all want? Healthy children? Absolutely! Bone broth is an essential ingredient to a gluten free kitchen. It nourishes the gut and is very easy to make. I make chicken bone broth several times a month and use it in soups, homemade chili beans, gravy and to add moisture and flavor to ground meats. How do you like to use bone broth? I would love to hear about your favorite recipes in the comments below.
If you like this recipe and would like more healthy gluten free recipes and latest research on gut health. Subscribe to my newsletter and blog below.
For more great articles or recipes on gut health, check out:Print
Chicken Bone Broth
Crock Pot Chicken Bone Broth
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 quarts
- 1 whole chicken (use pastured chicken to make this Plant Paradox Friendly) cut into several pieces or 4 lbs chicken backs( you can have butcher cut up chicken for you if you wish, I like to remove breasts and leave skin on to roast for sandwiches)
- 12 cups of filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped or 1 cup of baby carrots
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Rinse chicken pieces and add to crock pot. Add vinegar, onion, carrots, bay leaf and garlic into crockpot. Top with water.
- Turn crockpot on low, cover and cook overnight or at least 6-8 hours. Remove meat from bones (if using whole chicken) when it is cooked through (about 4 hours) and add bones and carcass back in and keep on low overnight. Use meat for a soup or curry.
- Strain stock through a colander and pour stock into freezer proof jars. I keep one jar in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. I place them in the refrigerator as I need them. Stock will last in the fridge in a sealed container for approximately 7-10 days.