Check out these Paleo Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes! The sweet cinnamon swirl has waltzed its way onto your fluffy pancake and is ready for it’s debut at your next brunch! This fool-proof tutorial will show you how!
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to view my full Disclosure Policy.)
How To Make Paleo Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
You Will Need:
- For the Cinnamon Swirl
- For the Pancake
Step one is to warm your coconut milk, coconut sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan until the coconut sugar is well combined. This takes about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
Next, get your batter ready. Whisk your almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt in a mixing bowl until all lumps have been removed. My favorite brand of flour is Anthony Goods, their almond flour is finely ground, most of their flours are organic and all is certified gluten free. They are the most affordable brand I have found, have great quality and bulk discounts.
Then, add eggs, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, almond milk and vanilla to dry ingredients. Whisk for 2 minutes or until batter has thickened.
Now that your batter is ready, add 1/3 cup of batter to your cinnamon sugar mixture.
Why do I add batter to the cinnamon sugar mixture? It is the only way for this to combine well and prevents the sugar from burning. I tried several ways of making this cinnamon swirl, I even looked at other recipes. A lot of people ended up with a huge mess when flipping the pancake! I tried this cinnamon swirl without batter and the sugar burned and there were huge indentations in my pancakes that did not look pretty! I tried these with 2 Tablespoons of batter and the sugar still burned, so when I added 1/3 up of batter, it was perfect! You get a lovely swirl and just a slight crisp in the sugar! Plus, you don’t ruin your pan!
Add your cinnamon sugar mixture to a zip-lock bag and cut a small hole (I mean…a really small hole) to one of the corners. You will be using this to make your swirl with. Set aside.
Heat your pan to low heat. Lightly oil your pan with avocado or coconut oil. (I use a coconut oil spray). I am using a cast iron griddle (my favorite pan)which gets VERY hot so my low heat may be your low-medium heat (if you’re not using cast iron), so play around with this. Pour in 1/3 cup of batter to the center of your skillet.
Now for the fun part! Get your zip-lock bag that is filled with the cinnamon mixture and starting at the center, gently squeeze the bag and move quickly in a circular motion working your swirl out to the edges. If you miss a spot, just go back and pipe some cinnamon sugar over it to fill it in.
Next, place a lid on your pan and heat for 1 minute. I am using a cast iron lid. I use a timer for this.
The picture above is what your pancake will look like. Now flip your pancake over, cover and heat one more minute. This recipe will make 12 medium pancakes. These are very filling but feel free to double the recipe if you are having guests.
I served these with Grade B maple syrup. If you want to make Cinnamon Roll pancakes, you can serve them with icing as Recipe Girl or Midget Momma does. (Not gluten free or dairy free!). Midget Momma’s recipe was an inspiration for my Paleo Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do! Please share your results in the comments below and subscribe below for a free Paleo Breakfast E-book and to get weekly recipes straight to your inbox!
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
For more yummy gluten free/Paleo-ish breakfasts recipes, check out:
Paleo Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 24 mins
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 12 pancakes
- Category: Breakfast
- For the Cinnamon Swirl:
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Pancakes:
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup avocado oil plus more for skillet
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond milk or water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a small pot, pour coconut sugar, cinnamon, coconut milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Heat on low for 3-4 minutes until coconut sugar is melted. Set aside.
- Place almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until all lumps have been removed.
- Add eggs, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, almond milk and vanilla to dry ingredients. Whisk for 2 minutes or until batter has thickened.
- Slowly add 1/3 cup of batter to cinnamon sugar mixture, stirring constantly until well incorporated. Pour cinnamon sugar mixture into a zip-lock bag and cut a very small hole at one of the corners. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet to low heat. Lightly oil pan and pour 1/3 cup pancake batter onto center of pan.
- Make a swirl of the cinnamon sugar mixture using the tip of the zip-lock bag. Point the tip of your baggie in the center of the pancake, gently squeeze and quickly work your way out in a circular motion. (See Photo above)
- Cover pan for 1 minute. Remove lid and flip pancake and cover for one more minute or until pancake is heated through.
- Repeat steps 4-7 with remaining pancakes. Serve with maple syrup.