Its summer time and I have been craving kale! When it’s this time of year, my body intuitively craves salads, fresh veggie/fruit juices, greens and I feel like eating lighter.
I love kale but it can be tough to chew on its own. It is very dense and fibrous. In this salad I have removed the stems and given the kale a little massage to help break down some of the fibers. Massaging the kale makes it taste as if it has been gently steamed, but it really is still raw and all of its enzymes are still intact.
There are several varieties of kale. The most popular are curly kale and dinosaur kale, but you may also find ornamental kale in some stores. In this recipe I am using curly kale. Curly kale has ruffled leaves with a bitter peppery flavor. I feel that adding the lemon cuts the bitterness and the orange juice adds a slight sweetness. I love this salad so much that it is my third time making it in the last week and a half!
Kale is rich in Calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K and Manganese. Bottom line, eat kale! It’s good super good for you!!
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
Check out these yummy gluten free recipes:
- 1 head of kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite size pieces
- ⅓ head of purple cabbage, finely shredded (1/8 inch thick)
- Fresh juice of 2 oranges
- Fresh juice of 2 limes
- 8 Tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil
- Himalayan Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup of unsalted & lightly roasted sunflower seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, add kale, shredded cabbage, juice of oranges and limes, pumpkin seed oil and salt. Massage all ingredients with hands for approximately 3-5 minutes to soften kale.
- Add sunflower seeds, additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss well and serve. Bon Appetit!
Latest posts by Ester Perez (see all)
- Green Chicken and Chorizo Enchiladas with Dairy Free Crema - 23 March, 2017
- Ultimate Gluten Free Pantry Clean-out: “18 Foods to Replace When Going Gluten Free - 21 March, 2017
- St. Patrick’s Day Healthy Treat bag with free Printable - 14 March, 2017