These Baked Garlic Fries with Avocado Cream Dip are the perfect healthy alternative to traditional french fries. These garlicky crispy fries pair perfectly with this sweet and creamy dip. Loved by grown-up and kids alike!
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to view my full Disclosure Policy.)
I recently saw a recipe for an avocado ranch dip in a Martha Stewart Magazine and was inspired to make a dairy free version. I thought it would go perfectly with some oven baked garlic fries.
My husband has been requesting garlic fries for the last few weeks and I thought it would pair perfectly with my dairy free avocado cream dip. It does! This recipe is very easy to make, the perfect healthy snack and can be served as an appetizer.
The first thing you will do is clean your russet potatoes. I used two large potatoes. Rinse and scrub them well since you will leave the peel on. I prefer to leave the skin on the potatoes since they are full of nutrients.
Potato skins contain fiber, protein, iron, magnesium, potassium, B-6, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin C and calcium. You don’t want to miss out on all those vitamins, do you? I sure don’t!
Next, trim off the ends, then cut them lengthwise in thirds and then again into 1/2 inch matchsticks as you see in the photo below.
Next, you will place your potato slices in a large bowl and add in your oil, salt and garlic. Mix well with your hands to cover all the fries with the mixture. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. I like to use a commercial baker’s half sheet so I can get them all in the oven at once. Plus, they cook evenly and it leaves my other rack free for baking something else. I have two of these half sheets! I love them!
Be sure to put a little space between each potato slice so that they brown evenly. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 28-30 minutes or until lightly crispy on top and golden on the bottom.
While your garlic fries are baking in the oven, you can get started on your avocado cream dip.
To your high speed blender, add raw cashews, water, oil, vinegar, honey, onion powder, salt and garlic. Blend until smooth.
If you do not have a high speed blender, you can quick soak your cashews in hot water for 30 minutes. This will soften them. Just be sure to rinse them in cold water. You don’t want the dip to be hot. Then, you can blend them in a food processor.
After you have made a cashew cream, then, you will add your avocado and blend again.
This dip is slightly sweet. You can now adjust the flavoring to suit your palate. Place in a small jar or bowl and serve. I like to serve my dips and sauces in an 8 ounce mason jar. It looks pretty and I can easily store leftover dip in the fridge. A very practical solution!
These baked garlic fries with avocado cream dip are best served immediately. If you have leftover avocado cream dip, place in a sealed container and use within 24 hours.
For more delicious healthy gluten free/Paleo-ish meals, please subscribe below. You will get my free Paleo Breakfast E-Book as my gift to you and new recipes straight to your inbox!
Check out these yummy gluten free recipes:
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced into ½ inch matchsticks
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves crushed or finely minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet (or two medium baking sheets) with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together sliced potatoes, oil, salt and garlic until well distributed. It is best to mix with hands.
- Place potato slices on baking sheet as shown in photo above. Do not let the potatoes touch.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 28-30 minutes or until lightly crispy on top and golden brown on the underside.
- Serve with avocado cream dip.
- ½ cup raw cashews (soak if you do not have a high speed blender)
- ½ cup filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ripe avocado
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend raw cashews, water, oil, vinegar, honey, onion powder, salt and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Add avocado and blend. Taste for desired seasoning.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in a small sealed container. Use within 24 hours.
Latest posts by Ester Perez (see all)
- Garlic Chicken with Greek Cucumber Noodle Salad - 26 April, 2017
- No-Bake Dark Chocolate Strawberry Energy Bites - 17 April, 2017
- Ultimate Self-Serve Snack Drawer For Busy Families - 10 April, 2017